Recent research indicates that violent crime rates are rising in cities across the United States. However, some cities have shown that they are willing to do whatever it takes to safeguard their residents and visitors against assorted dangers.
So, which cities are ranked as the “safest” in the United States? Here’s a closer look.
- Naperville, Illinois
Niche recently named Naperville, Illinois as the safest city in America. Naperville offers Neighborhood Watch, Paws on Patrol and other programs that encourage community members to work together to stop crime. Plus, Naperville boasts a Crime Stoppers community hotline that has already helped solve 132 cases and recovered nearly $7.5 million in cash, property and drugs.
- Irvine, California
Irvine, California has consistently ranked as one of the safest cities in America for more than a decade. The city’s averages of 52 annual violent crimes per 100,000 total crimes and 1,401 annual property crimes per 100,000 total crimes rank among the lowest nationally.
- Thousand Oaks, California
Located in the northwestern portion of Greater Los Angeles, Thousand Oaks, California is a city unlike any other. In addition to ranking as one of Niche‘s safest cities in the United States, Thousand Oaks features many schools that rank among the country’s best. Also, Thousand Oaks provides convenient access to a broad array of beaches, mountains and entertainment, making it a top destination for many Golden State residents and visitors alike.
- Provo, Utah
Provo, Utah is the third-largest city in the Beehive State, along with one of Niche‘s safest cities nationally. It strives to provide residents and guests with unbeatable entertainment and attractions and hosts a film festival, rooftop concerts and comedy shows – among other events – throughout the year. Provo also ranks among Niche‘s best cities for outdoor activities in America and best cities to raise a family in America.
- Round Rock, Texas
Round Rock, Texas is one of the fastest-growing cities in the United States, and perhaps it is easy to understand why. In addition to ranking among Niche‘s safest cities in America, Round Rock is home to Dell, Texas Guaranteed Student Loan and other globally recognized brands. Furthermore, Round Rock has industry clusters in clean energy, advanced manufacturing, life sciences and computer and software development that have helped the city become a thriving center of economic growth.
- Carlsbad, California
Carlsbad, California may be best-known as a North County San Diego coastal getaway, but the city is much more than that. In fact, Carlsbad is one of Niche‘s safest cities in America, and it blends the charm of a small European town with the convenience of a large city. Today, Carlsbad offers something for everyone – everything from street fairs to nature trail hikes – and is one of the most-popular destinations in California.
- Sunnyvale, California
A Santa Clara County favorite, Sunnyvale, California is one of the primary cities that comprises the Golden State’s Silicon Valley. Sunnyvale has a population of approximately 153,389 residents, and its community encompasses a diverse collection of people. Additionally, SmartAsset ranked Sunnyvale as America’s safest city in 2016 and 2017. Sunnyvale also earned a spot on Niche‘s 2017 list of the best cities in America to raise a family.
- Glendale, California
Glendale, California is conveniently located just minutes from Los Angeles, Hollywood and other prominent Golden State destinations. It has earned a reputation as one of the safest cities in California and boasts a wide range of best-in-class schools, attractions and landmarks. Glendale even offers well-maintained streets and other perks that help it stand out from other California cities.
- Plano, Texas
Plano, Texas ranks among Livability.com’s Top 100 Places to Live and Best Cities for Retirement, Families and Downtowns. It offers roughly 3,800 acres of parkland, and Frito-Lay, Pizza Hut and several other notable American companies are headquartered in Plano. The city also provides extensive public safety tools and resources to its residents and visitors, such as outdoor warning sirens and disaster preparedness assistance.
- Overland Park, Kansas
Overland Park, Kansas has a simple motto: “Above and Beyond, By Design.” As such, Overland Park offers comprehensive neighborhood resources that encourage residents to take active roles in securing the city. It also promotes partnerships between the local police and community members to stop crime and address city problems.
Clearly, there are lots of American cities that offer safe, comfortable destinations for both residents and visitors. But even if you do not currently reside in one of the aforementioned cities, there is still plenty that you can do to protect yourself and your loved ones against violent crime, such as:
- Understand your surroundings. Crime can affect anyone, at any location and at any time. If you analyze your surroundings, you may be better equipped than ever before to identify potential dangers before they escalate.
- Avoid shortcuts. Let’s face it – the temptation to cut through backroads and alleyways to quickly reach a final destination can be overwhelming. Yet doing so could be dangerous. Thus, you should avoid shortcuts and use populated, well-lit pathways whenever possible.
- Keep your electronics out of sight. Keep your smartphone, tablet or any other personal electronics out of sight. That way, you can minimize the risk of personal device theft.
- Report any suspicious behaviors to authorities. If you observe suspicious activity, it generally is a good idea to err on the side of caution. Therefore, if you ever feel unsafe, you should call 911 immediately.
- Travel in groups. Traveling with family members or friends is a safer option than traveling alone – without exception. Of course, if traveling alone is your only option, you should map out your trip to ensure you can quickly and safely reach your final destination.
- Know how to respond to a robbery. If someone tries to rob you, give up your property. Remember, property is replaceable. On the other hand, you cannot replace a person’s life.
- Report crime ASAP. Don’t wait to report a crime. Instead, call 911 and provide the operator with as much information as you can.
Lastly, safety is an ongoing effort, and developing a safety-first approach to everyday life is unlikely to happen overnight. But those who dedicate the necessary time and resources to protect themselves and their loved ones against various dangers can address potential risks before they get out of hand. And as a result, these individuals can take steps to alleviate their safety concerns both now and in the future.