These days, more and more professions are requiring employees to obtain a BLS (basic life support) certification in order to qualify for the job. If you need to obtain your BLS in a hurry, there are two basic ways to do it.
1. Attend a live class.
Live classes are offered by private companies like SureFire CPR and the courses are certified through the American Heart Association. These classes can take about 4 hours and generally cover:
- Adult, child, and infant CPR
- Conscious and unconscious choking for victims of all ages
- Automated external defibrillator (AED) use
- Breathing barriers, bag valve masks, and 2-rescuer CPR
- Cardiopulmonary emergencies
- Special resuscitation situations
Before signing up for an in-person class, make sure they offer a same-day certification card.
2. Blended Learning:
Take part of the class online, and then come into a facility to perform a short skills session.
Online certification can usually be completed in 1-3 hours. This approach consists of a self-paced series of web-based learning modules which include videos and the final exam. Once the exam is completed, you can schedule a skills session at a local training facility. Be sure to make sure the facility offers your certification card the same day as your skills session.
Benefits of online training include:
- Can be completed around your busy schedule
- The skills check is fast and easy
- No textbook required, reducing the cost of training
- Receive your BLS card the same day as your skills check
If your current BLS certification is about to expire, you can take a renewal course to bring it up to date. These courses can be taken in-person or online, and cover the same skills as the initial training.
Obtaining a BLS certification is a good idea even for those who don’t need it for a job. You never know when the training may help save the life of someone you love.