Happy New Year! 2019 has arrived, and there are many New Year’s resolutions you can make to keep your family safe in the new year. These New Year’s resolutions include:
- Become CPR- and Basic First Aid-Certified
A cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) class usually requires only a few hours to complete, and its benefits can last a lifetime. During a CPR class, you will learn how to perform CPR, use an automated external defibrillator (AED), assist conscious and unconscious choking victims and more. Plus, upon successful completion of a CPR class, you will receive a CPR certification card that stays valid for two years. Both parents and kids can sign up for a CPR class, too.
In addition to CPR classes, basic first aid courses are available for parents and kids. A basic first aid class covers a variety of life-saving topics, including:
- Allergic reactions
- Bone and muscle injuries
- Hot and cold emergencies
Like a CPR class, a basic first aid course typically takes just a few hours to finish. If you complete a basic first aid class, you will earn a basic first aid certification card as well.
- Prepare Healthy Meals as a Family
You don’t need to be Julia Child, Emeril Lagasse or any other famous chef to prepare healthy meals for your family. In fact, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers several tips to help families prepare healthy meals, such as:
- Choose fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain nutrients, minerals and vitamins that support a healthy diet.
- Select whole grains over refined varieties. Foods labeled with “100% whole grain” or “100% whole wheat” are healthier alternatives to foods that contain refined grains.
- Add fat-free or low-fat milk to your diet. Fat-free or low-fat milk contains calcium and other nutrients and has fewer calories than whole milk.
- Enjoy lean protein. Pork, chicken, beef, eggs and other foods loaded with lean protein will help you satisfy your hunger pangs.
- Find healthy substitutes to high-calorie gravies and sauces. Avoid high-calorie gravies or sauces when preparing meals; instead, substitute these products with healthy alternatives like low-fat parmesan cheese or a squeeze of lemon.
The right mix of foods will help you stay healthy in 2019 and beyond. Best of all, if you prepare healthy meals as a family, parents and kids alike can reap the benefits of a healthy diet.
- Fix Your Home
Remember the broken window or leaky faucet you said you would fix last year? Well, 2019 provides a new opportunity to perform home repairs you previously ignored.
In some instances, you may be well-equipped to complete home repairs on your own. Common do-it-yourself (DIY) home repairs include:
- Ceiling Stain: Spray-on products are available that allow you to seamlessly cover up a ceiling stain.
- Clogged Drain: A plunger or chemical drain cleaner often helps clear out grime or hair that causes a clogged drain.
- Loose Showerhead: With a few sprays of expanding foam, you can instantly tighten a loose showerhead.
- Smelly Washing Machine: Certain mold-killing tablets can be run through a washing machine to eliminate unpleasant odors.
- Weed-Infested Lawn: Various lawn care products often make it simple to remove weeds and other lawn pests.
Of course, if you are uncertain about how to complete a home repair or want to perform a major home upgrade, there is no need to leave anything to chance. In this case, seek out a certified home improvement professional. If you have an expert home improvement professional at your side, you can quickly and safely correct any home problems.
- Get Creative
Make 2019 a year to let your creative juices flow – you will be happy you did. If you enjoy family-friendly activities that drive creativity, you may discover innovative ways to celebrate 2019 to the fullest extent.
Ultimately, there are lots of safe, easy ways to get creative in 2019, including:
- Visit an art gallery or museum. Check out one art gallery or museum each month; this can help you foster both creative and cognitive growth.
- Use a sketchbook or journal. Produce one sketchbook drawing or journal entry each day; this may help feed your creative spirit, as well as relax and wind down at the end of the day.
- Launch a blog. Create at least one blog post per week on a subject you know and love; this allows you to share your creativity, knowledge and insights with others.
- Master a new skill. Enroll in at least one art class, cooking course or another creative training program; this allows you to develop a new skill in an exciting and engaging learning environment.
- Schedule a family vacation. Plan a family vacation to a new destination; this ensures you and your family can visit fun attractions and landmarks together in the new year.
It is not too late to set a New Year’s resolution for 2019. Take advantage of any of the aforementioned New Year’s resolutions, and you can put your family in position to enjoy a happy, healthy and safe 2019.